Good quality Early Childhood Development is the most potent weapon we have in the fight against poverty.
The Western Cape has:
- Identified that only 22% of children in the province had access to ECD provision. Since then there has been an increase to 40%). Bravo!
- Recognised that the need for an ECD service that includes, amongst others, support for preschools, of all descriptions.Two of the many important services that they recognised that preschools provide are:
- Education and care for the children.
- This writer would like to add the Capacitation of Women to this list.
In the quest to provide excellent quality ECD, the Western Cape has developed a clearly defined and (beautifully) documented Early Childhood Development Strategy.
The goals and outcomes of the Western Cape’s ECD Strategy can be summarised as follows: “…that every child has a nurturing, caring and safe environment to survive, be physically healthy, mentally alert, emotionally secure, socially competent and able to learn.”. (United Nations, A World Fit for Children 2002))
The Western Cape’s ECD Policy
- Develops quality Early Childhood Development programmes that promote:
- The care,
- Protection, and
- Intellectual development in respect of mathematical concepts and language acquisition with a focus on English and the home language.
- Offers comprehensive services to children that support their health, nutrition, and social well-being.
- Encourages ECD programmes that build on the strengths, traditions and resourcefulness of families and communities;
- Implemented the Compliance Procedures to:
- Promote the development of healthy physical environments for children in ECD programmes;
- Promote quality services through the implementation of norms and standards and on-going research.
- Trains ECD service providers, caregivers and parents.
Western Cape Social Development is absolutely committed to ECD and have gone out of their way to make Compliance achievable. They offer a good support system so that the ECDs can approach them on this complex subject, secure in the knowledge that help is at hand.
Your school will always have to fly beneath the radar, unless it’s fully compliant
So, let’s begin…
- The Western Cape is divided into six Municipalities;
- Each Municipality has Regions;
- All Municipalities and their Regions use the same Social Development forms and documentation;
- Over and above point 3., each Municipality and/or Region may have it’s own unique requirements;
- The Fire Notes per Municipality may differ.
Departments that will help you establish your ECD
- The Department of Agriculture – Will provide help and support for food gardens. This is amazing!
- Department of Education – Grade R;
- Department of Health – Provides health, health promotion, nutrition and environmental health services;
- Department of Social Development – Registers your ECD centre.
How does Tools for School help you register your preschool?
You can download step-by-step guidelines to familiarise yourself with the processes, download By-Laws, Land Use Management, all the various application forms, policies and other templates to edit and use at school, curricula, and checklists.
And then, through the newsletter, we’ll keep you informed of when templates have been updated to include new laws that come out.
Available to members immediately (please be logged in), otherwise email Andrea for a subscription