Tshwane Registration and Consent or Special Consent

City of Tshwane 

Registration and Consent / Special Consent Guidelines

Hello and welcome to the Tshwane page!

Here is where to get step-by-step guidelines, the Children’s Act, Municipal By-Laws, and wherever possible, the forms you need  for:

  1. Letter of Consent/Special Consent – from City Planning
  2. Child Care Certificate – from Health
  3. Fire Clearance Certificate – from EMS
  4. Certificate of Acceptability Regulation R962 – Food Handling Certificate – from Health
  5. Partial Care – from DSD (Provincial)
  6. Certificate of Occupancy – from City Planning

The documents and downloads you need are on this page

So let’s begin…

  1. Some acronyms and short-forms we use:
    1. DSD: Department of Social Development (Provincial)
    2. EHP: Environmental Health Practitioner
    3. Health: Health Department, Environmental Health is a division of Health
    4. EMS: Emergency Medical Services
    5. NPO: Non-Profit Organisation
  2. Before even talking to DSD or Health for Registration, the following must be done:
    1. Rezoning and/or Consent Use/Special Consent, from City Planning
    2. Police clearance.

Consent or Special Consent

Step 1 – GIS: The first task is to phone GIS at your local municipality and find out the zoning of the property that your school will be / is already on. If the property already has business rights, all is well and you can carry on with the registration process. If not, carry on with Step 2.

Step 2 – Town Planning Scheme: Download and become familiar with Tshwane’s Town Planning Scheme, especially the parts about child care.

Step 3 – Building Plans: Locate your approved building plans and have the Fire Notes updated. These plans will also be submitted to EMS later on.

Step 4 – Visit Town Planning: Armed with your updated building plans, go and see Town Planning at your local Municipality. Discuss the procedure and the preparation of the necessary documentation for Consent Use of Land and/or Rezoning the property. Town Planning will advise accordingly dependant on a number of factors such as rezoning, removal of restrictions, etc.

Step 5 – Special Consent UseYou are able to do this process yourself by applying for Special Consent Use of Land which Town Planning will advise on during Step 4.

Step 6 – If advised to do so by Town Planning, contact a local Town Planning consultant to assist you with this process, they can be found here.

Step 7 – When the approval has ben given by Town Planning you can now liaise with Health and DSD.

Child Care Services Certificate

Step 1 – Tshwane Bylaws:

  • Download and become familiar with Tshwane Bylaws. Your ECD Centre needs to comply with everything it says in this document.

Step 2 – Personal Clearance (Vetting) from Provincial Government for the Crimes and Sexual Offenders Databases:

  1. Download and complete Form 29, Child Protection Register – used by the owner/Principal to check the status of every single employee at school.
  2. Download and complete Form 30, Child Protection Register – used by the owner/Principal to check own status.
  3. Application for a place of care can only be made after the personal clearances have been done.

Step 3 – Apply to register your preschool:

  • Download and complete the Application for the Registration of an Partial Care Facility, from Provincial DSD.

Step 4 – Apply to register the ECD programme you use at school:

  • Download and complete the Application to Register an ECD Programme, from Provincial DSD.

Step 5 – The filled-in applications to register the Partial Care and the ECD Programme with DSD can be dropped off at:

Delta House,
Thabo Sehume Street (formerly Andries Street),

Step 6 – Tshwane Metro Police Department: Phone your local traffic department and arrange for them to visit your property where they will assess all matters pertaining to road safety and your school. In particular:

  1. The need for speed bumps on the road outside your school.
  2. Road safety training for the practitioners to carry through into the curriculum.
  3. Remember to discuss theft prevention methods with the police; they’ll have lots of good advice.

Step 7 – Incident Registers:

  1. Create a Daily Register for Accidents/Incidents that Happened at School, which is to be used every day when something happens to a child at school, even a scratch.
  2. Create a Daily Register for Accidents/Incidents that Happened at Home, which is to be filled in by the parents when the bring their child to school, if the child was hurt at home.

Step 8 – Policies:

Submit the following Policies with the Application Forms:

  1. Food and Beverage Policy
  2. Handling Contagious Diseases and HIV/AIDS Policy
  3. Discipline Policy For Children
  4. Discipline and Grievance Policy For Staff
  5. Infection Control Policy, including the cleaning of windows, curtains and carpets.
  6. Biting Policy
  7. Anti-Child Abuse and Child Protection Policy Policy
    1. Download Form 22, Reporting of Abuse.
  8. Emergency Policy, Emergency Preparedness and Evacuation Procedures

Step 9 – Nutrition:

  1. Carefully plan your menus at school. Consider consulting a professional Nutritionist.
  2. Separate 2-Weekly menus are required for birth to 2 years, and 2 years upwards
    1. Download the 2-Weekly Sample Menus, birth to 2 years old
    2. Download the 2-weekly Sample Menus, 2 years old upwards
  3. The menus must be prominently displayed where the parents can see them.
  4. Download the Food and Beverage Policy to edit and use at school.
  5. If you are looking for help with food, contact Jam International to apply for supplies of a fortified e-pap.

Step 10 – Enrolling the Children:

  1. You are required to have Enrolment Agreements and Enrolment Forms for all the children in your school.
  2. Download everything else you need to manage your enrolments.
  3. Download an Enrolment/Admissions Policy to edit and and implement at school.
  4. Download and complete Annexure C – Children Registered for the ECD Programme. Submit this form to DSD.

Step 11 – Staff (HR):

  1. The minimum qualification that an ECD Practitioner may hold is NQF Level 4.
  2. Download and complete Annexure A – Staff Employed at the Partial Care Facility.
  3. As part of your employee records, keep a copy of each Practitioners qualification certificate.
  4. SACE: It’s advisable for the Practitioners to join SACE, the Professional Council for educators. Download the SACE Application Form.
  5. You will need:
    1. An Employment File for every member of staff . All the contracts and other documentations you need are available for download on this site in Employment.
    2. Proof that you have registered each member of staff with the Department of Labour, Unemployment Insurance Fund.
    3. You have received training on the Basic Conditions of Employment and the BCE chart (which must be displayed where all members of staff can see and refer to it).

Step 12 – The Curriculum:

  1. Download the Birth to Four Year Old Early Learning Developmental Areas (ELDAs) National Curriculum Framework to use when developing your ECD Programme.
  2. Download The Key Areas of Development, to use when developing your ECD Programme.
  3. Alternatively, download the comprehensive Birth to Four Year Old Curriculum, an excellent ECD Programme.
  4. Download a wonderful 10-day Learn Not To Burn Curriculum.

Step 13 – CIPRO:

  1. Make arrangements with your Accountant to have your business (the school) registered on CIPRO. NPOs don’t have to do this.

Step 14 – South African Revenue Services:

You need:

  1. A Tax Clearance Certificate.
  2. Proof that you have registered your (Pty) Limited or NPO with SARS.

Tshwane has a one-stop-shop where they’ll assist with the Child Care Services, and Acceptability Certificates and Food for NPOs.

The address is:

FF Rebeiro Clinic
Corner Madiba and Sisulu Streets

Fire Clearance Certificate

The procedure for obtaining this certificate is:

Step 1 – Download Chapter 2 of the EMS By-Laws and read it before you meet with EMS.

Step 2 – You already have updated building plans from when your property was rezoned, and these are submitted to EMS when you submit your application for a Fire Clearance Certificate.

Step 3 – Arrange a meeting with EMS to discuss your Fire Clearance Certificate.

Step 4 – They will want to see the following:

  1. For an existing building:  Previously approved plans must be submitted to EMS for advice and discussion.
  2. For alterations / additions to an existing building:  Previously approved plans, as well as the new plans must be submitted to EMS for advise and discussion.
  3. For new buildings:
    1. Smaller than 250 m2, plans must be submitted to EMS for advise and discussion.
    2. Larger than 250 m2, a Fire Consultant, registered with the Engineering Council of South Africa must be appointed to submit the plans to EMS.  These plans cannot be approved without a Fire Consultant.
  4. EMS will advise with regard to escape routes, positioning of fire-equipment, fire notes, etc to be added to the plan.

Step 5 – When everything has been indicated on your building plan, and payment to the Council has been made, EMS will approve the plans by means of a stamp and signature. Now you have an approved building plan, not a Fire Clearance Certificate…there is still a way to go.

Step 6 – The school premises must replicate exactly what is on the plan.

Step 7 – An inspection will be arranged and if the Fire Inspector finds everything in order, and your buildings are the same as shown on the building plan, a Fire Clearance Certificate will be issued for the school.

Before considering your Child Care Services Certificate, DSD will want this Fire Clearance Certificate and YOU CANNOT OPERATE WITHOUT IT.

Certificate of Acceptability,
R962 – Food Handling

If you serve food at school you need to apply for this certificate from Health.

Step 1: Download and familiarise yourself with the official R962 Food Handling By-Laws.

Step 2: Download and fill out the Application for the Certificate of Acceptability. You need to spend a fair amount of time on this one with your Health Worker who will guide you through the food handling process, as well as the format the school’s kitchen must be.

Non-Profit Organisations (NPOs)

Application for Food (NPOs)

  • When your NPO has been registered, and you have received the certificate, you may now apply for food. This time the application is made to the Health Department, Environmental Health Division:

FF Rebeiro Clinic,
Corner Madiba and Sisulu Streets,

Additional Downloads

Needed by all schools, including Non-Profit Organisations:

Useful Links

Please be aware that certain charges will be levied by the Departments.  They are not in any way linked to your subscription to toolsforschool.net

Comments are closed.