KwaZulu Natal Compliance
Essential Reading if you own a preschool in South Africa:
- New National Environmental Health Norms and Standards – these norms and standards explain how the health inspections will work and give all the new norms and standards for ECD sites.
- Children’s Act Guide for Early Childhood Development Practitioners – Essential reading if you own or manage a preschool.
- Basic List for Compliance – Use this list as the foundation of your ‘Compliance Plan’. As you attend to the various tasks this list might even grow before it gets smaller, and your Municipality will certainly cause further additions/changes to be made to the original list. Eventually it will be done though, so keep the perseverance flag flying high!
- Chapter 13 – Public Safety By-Laws – For Health Permit – use it to compile your Safety Policy and complete the necessary application forms.
- Chapter 2 – Emergency Services By-Laws – For Fire Safety Certificate. Use it to complete the Fire Notes which are on the side-bar of your building plans;
By-Laws: preschools are an integral part of the community and the By-Laws are an essential resource.
Rezoning (Town Planning):
- If you’re going to use a Town Planning Consultant, here’s where to find one.
Child Abuse Policy:
- KZN Child Abuse Policy Guidelines: this is the exact process for handling child abuse in KwaZulu Natal.
- Download an Anti-Child Abuse and Child Protection Policy to edit and use at school.
- Personal Clearance (DSD): Every single person who works at your school has to be cleared form the Crimes Database and Sexual Offenders.
- Form 29, Child Protection Register – used by the owner/Principal to check the status of the employees
- Form 30, Child Protection Register – used by the owner/Principal to check own status
- Download Form 22, Reporting of Abuse – print Form 22 out and file it with your Anti-Child Abuse and Child Protection policy
- Download a comprehensive Birth to Four Year Old Curriculum.
- Download the Birth to Four Year Old Early Learning Developmental Areas (ELDAs) National Curriculum Framework.
- Download a wonderful 10-day Learn Not To Burn Curriculum.
Employment: When DSD does their checks they will want to see that you have a file for every employee containing an Employment Contract, Code of Conduct and several other forms.
- Download everything you need to implement your Employment practices can be downloaded from the TFS Employment pages.
- Download, print and display the Summary of Basic Conditions of Employment Act.
Certificate of Acceptability, Food Handling – Regulation R962:
- Download and familiarise yourself with the official R962 Food Handling By-Laws.
- Download and complete the Application for the Certificate of Acceptability. You need to spend a fair amount of time on this one with your Health Worker who will guide you through the food handling process, as well as the format the school’s kitchen must be.
Non-Profit Organisations (NPOs)
- In addition to the above you also need:
- Application for Registration by a Non-Profit Organisation (Section 13, Nonprofit Organisations Act, 1997);
- Download the example of the Constitution that NPOs need to provide.
- Download and familiarise yourself with this NPO Narrative for Reporting on Meetings. Use it to structure your meetings and the reports.
- Download a Business Plan format. This Business Plan is a profile of your organisation, rather than a financial plan.
- Application for Food: When your NPO has been registered, and you have received the certificate, you may now apply for food. This time the application is made to the Health Department, not Environmental Health.
- Applications can be made at the regional office : 40 Caitlin Street, Germiston, or
- Applications can be made at: 40 Caitlin Street, Germiston(the regional office) or
- The National Department of Social Development: Nonprofit Organisations Directorate, which has been established to administer the registration of Nonprofit Organisations in South Africa.
- Applications can be made at the national office: 134 Pretorius Street, HSRC Building, Pretoria for hand deliveries or posted Department of Social Development, Private Bag X901, Pretoria, 0001
Please be aware that certain charges will be levied by the Departments at the Municipalities. They are not in any way linked to your subscription to toolsforschool.net